National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (NCAE-CD)
2025 CAE Honors Internship Program Information – Applications due March 1, 2024 – Get more information here!
There are three types of designations in National Center of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity (NCAE-C) program managed by the NSA’s National Cryptologic School. They are National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (NCAE-CD), National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Research (NCAE-R), and National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations (NCAE-CO). East Carolina University has been designated as a NCAE-CD since 2005.
The goal of CAE is:
- Reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education and research in Cyber Defense (CD)
- Produce a growing number of professionals with expertise in CD disciplines
- Proactively increase our understanding of robust CD technology, policy, and practices that will enable our Nation to effectively prevent and respond to a catastrophic cyber event
- Contribute significantly to the advancement of state-of-the-art CD knowledge and practice
The Department of Technology Systems offers several programs at both the undergraduate and graduate level that meets these goals. Our dynamic faculty, state-of-art laboratories, and partnerships with business and industry help us prepare our graduates with technical and professional skills needed to design, deploy, manage, and apply techniques of securing and protecting the integrity and availability of information systems and communication networks in governmental, private, and non-profit organizations.
Select any of the following links to learn more about our information security related programs:
- Industrial Technology (BSIT) AAS Transfer program with a concentration in Information and CybersecurityTechnology
- Information and CybersecurityTechnology with a concentration in Information Security
- Cyber Security Professional Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science in Network Technology Concentration in Information Security
- CAE-CD Center Point of Contact (PoC): Dr. Te-Shun Chou
- CAE-CD Center Alternate PoC: Dr. Biwu Yang
- Institutional Accounts Administrator: Dr. Tijjani Mohammed
- Faculty members: Mr. Steve Baker, Dr. Te-Shun Chou, Dr. Chuck Lesko, Dr. Peng Li, Mr. Brian Miller, Dr. Tijjani Mohammed, Dr. Erol Ozan, Dr. John Pickard, Dr. Ciprian Popoviciu, Mr. Travis Powell, Dr. Karla Thompson Varnell, and Dr. Biwu Yang
Student cybersecurity activities available to students at the institution and beyond:
- Student Privacy Newsletter:
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA):
- Student Privacy Newsletter:
Internal cybersecurity news:
External cybersecurity news:
- 2025 CAE Honors Internship Program Information – Applications due March 1, 2024 – Get more information here!
- 2023 National Cybersecurity Virtual Career Fair – Sept. 22, 2023 – 12pm to 4pm EST – Register here!
Up-to-date links to key cybersecurity resources for students:
National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (NCCDC): https://calendar.ecu.edu/event/dept_of_technology_systems_atmae_chapter_meeting#.Yu18WXbMJPY
The advisory board of the Information and Cybersecurity Technology Program meets at least once each year to provide input on academics, research, administration, outreach, advocacy, and development. The board reviews the graduate and undergraduate curriculum and degree programs, program educational objectives, and program learning outcomes, and offers suggestions for change to keep them current. The board evaluates the quality and scope of research, its relationship to programs, its relevancy, and helps guide future directions. The board recommends ways to build new relationships with industry and to strengthen existing relationships.
Mr. Scott Neal
Durham Tech Community College
Red Hat Inc.
Department Chair, Engineering and Information Technologies
Central Carolina Community College
University Relations Manager
John Hawley, Jr
IT Client Service Operations Manager – Vice President
BB&T IT Platform Services – Web Production Engineering
Director, Information Technology
Member of Technical Staff (Switch Engineering Lead)
Red Hat Academy Specialist
Red Hat, Inc.
Wellstar Health System
VP, Chief Technology Officer
Converged Infrastructure Solutions Architect
Business Development Manager
Red Hat, Inc.
Product Owner BI & Analytics, Red Hat
Navy Federal Credit Union
Durham Tech CC.