Dr. M. M. Lekhon Alam
Dr. M. M. Lekhon Alam
M. M. Lekhon Alam is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Technology Systems at East Carolina University. He studied Environmental Design and Planning in his Ph.D. program at Kansas State University. He has a bachelor’s degree in Architecture from Khulna University (KU) in Khulna, Bangladesh, and a master’s degree in Architecture from Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS, where he received the prestigious John F. Helm award for outstanding performance in coursework, leadership & service, and for the MS thesis project. As an undergraduate, Lekhon received “Head’s List” certificate (given for the recognition of excellent studio works) from the KU dept. of architecture, and in 2014, he won the 3rd national position in the international competition, ‘Urban Revitalization of Mass Housing,” and was awarded by UN-Habitat.
The Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) selected the K-State Memorial Stadium Green Roof project for its 2020 Case Study Investigation program, where Lekhon worked as a research assistant with Assoc. Professor Lee R. Skabelund. Lekhon’s research focuses on green roof designs related to carbon sequestration, thermal loading, and connections to building energy performance, with the aim of mitigating climate change through urban greening. His teaching and research work at the intersection of thermodynamics, architectural designs/building systems, and material science is indeed the direction for sustainability and the built environment in the fight to combat a warming planet.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Design and Planning, Kansas State University
- MS. ARCH, Kansas State University
- B.Arch., Khulna University
Research & Teaching Interests
- Architecture & Sustainable Environmental Design: Climate Design, Building Energy Performance, Environmental Systems in Architecture, Sustainable Building Design
- Environmental/Social Resilience: Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, Ecological Planning, Natural & Socio-economic Aspects of Resilient Planning/Design, Critical Regionalism
- Green Infrastructure: Green Roofs, Rainwater Management, Ecological Green Infrastructure Planning, Design, Monitoring & Maintenance, Natural & Cultural Systems Analysis, Ecoregional Design
- Mental Wellbeing: Mental Health/Wellbeing Related to Urban Ecology, Restorative Environments
- Building Information Modeling: Building Information Modeling (Revit)