Meet CET’s Brian Miller

Miller

Technology Systems Teaching Instructor Brian Miller

Brian Miller joined the Technology Systems faculty for the fall 2018 semester. Welcome aboard, Mr. Miller!

1. What do you teach? I teach ICTN Network Operating System courses that focus on the use and administration of Windows and Linux systems.

2. Why did you choose to come to ECU and CET? I am an alumnus of our MSNT program and have been teaching a variety of IT subjects at Beaufort County Community College since 2013 at the AAS level. I found my passion over the years for teaching and helping students reach their educational goals. I learned more about the CET programs at ECU through advising BCCC students about the BSIT program. I liked the collaboration with local industry and the focus on partnering with industry certifications to prepare students for not only graduation, but also success in their careers.

3. Why are you excited about these areas? The courses in our ICT program cover topics that graduates will use in the workforce. I am excited to introduce and help students become proficient in the areas I teach because they have a direct effect on the efficiency of administering network operating systems. Topics covered help an administrator in a relatively small IT department manage and support a much larger number of technology users through the tools available in the system.

4. What would people be surprised to learn about you? I was stationed on a submarine for five years in the U.S. Navy and have visited 14 countries during our travels.

5. What is your hometown? I am originally from Lake Charles, Louisiana and live in Washington, N.C.  My parents relocated to Washington in 1987 for a job at the TexasGulf Phosphate mine. My wife and I relocated back to Washington in 2003 after my Naval service.

6. Where did you get your undergrad, graduate degrees? I have a BS in Management of Information Systems from Mount Olive College and an MS in Technology Systems – Computer Networking Management from ECU.

7. What is your title? Teaching Instructor.

8. Where did you work prior to joining ECU? What did you do? I have had a variety of jobs over the years. I was a nuclear plant electrical operator in the U.S. Navy for 10 years; network technician and maintenance lead at Grady White Boats; estimator and project manager for a local electrical contractor; IT administrator at Carver Machine Works Inc.; and lead instructor for the IT degree program at BCCC.